Monday, May 24, 2010

Am I as Excited about God as many people are about Lost?

After reading through status after status on Facebook about the Lost finale, I was prompted with the question, "What if I got as excited about God as these people do about Lost?"

Can you say conviction? I personally am not a Lost fan (and not because I don't like it, but just because I've never seen it. However, I can definitely replace Lost with shows that I like.

What if I looked forward to going to church as much as I do about the Amazing Race?
What if I enjoyed my daily reading of the Word as much as I enjoy Modern Family?
What if singing songs of worship to God made me as happy as watching the Bachelor(ette)?

What if I really lived every day as if God was the most important part of my life? I say that He is, and I do love Him, but when I really think about it, what I tend to get most excited about are the fleeting pleasures of the world.

I'm not saying I'm never excited about church, the Word, or worshiping God. And I'm not saying I live for TV. However, I almost always look forward to watching these shows, but I don't always look forward to opening my Bible, getting out of bed and ready for church, or singing songs that seem "old" or "overplayed". Yet, these TV shows didn't die for me. They don't love me. They have no compassion for me, nor extend grace or forgiveness to me. Jesus did. And He is the one I should ALWAYS (every single second of my life) look forward to learning from and about, singing to, and worshiping.

Lord, may I ALWAYS be as excited about you and your Word as I am about certain TV shows. Let me be completely consumed by you so that TV, when seen in it's rightful place, cannot compare to what I have in you. Please forgive me for the many times I have found greater pleasure in watching shows that dishonor you than I do in worshiping and honoring you, the one who gave your life for me.

No comments: