Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Where You Lead, I Will Go

Well, a few of you wanted to hear how my working at the church came to happen. I'll go back to the beginning and work my way to the present, as that order generally works best. :)

For a long time, secretarial work has appealed to me. However, when I was first looking to get a job, I was still in High School and could not work days, which doesn't really work for that kind of job. Instead, I got a job in retail, working at Michael's.

Fast forward a few years to the beginning of the summer, I was looking around for a job. I wanted to nanny, but nothing was working out. I got close to getting a Friday nanny job, but that fell through. About midway through the summer, I got to talking to Sacha and the idea of working at the church came up. She said it wouldn't hurt to ask if there was a position available. I emailed Mr. Jim and he said nothing now, but maybe the fall. Perfect for me, because I felt called to stay at Michael's until the end of the summer, although I wasn't sure why.

I had my first interview, then the announcement was put in the bulletin for the position. About 15 people applied. I figured there was no way I had a chance, and prepared myself to work at Michael's for awhile longer. I had come to a place where I was going to be content either way, and for me, that's totally God because I am not one to find contentment so easily. I was called back for a second interview and then sat back and waited for the final answer. My second interview fell on a day with pouring rain. I said, "If I get this job, it certainly isn't because I looked professional." I was soaked (my car leaks in the rain and it decided to DUMP water on me on the way to the church), my hair was crazy, and well, I was so thankful this was an interview where they don't really look at the external. ;)

The entire process from first interview to final answer was about 6 weeks. It was a time of patience and trusting God. People made comments about how long it was taking, but I wasn't too worried about it.

Now the present: I've been working there about two weeks, and I LOVE it. I am not one to just sit around and wait for work, so I am glad that lately my jobs are taking my entire shift. I am also one who hates to leave unfinished work, so sometimes it's hard for me to leave in the middle of a job (for example, I stayed an extra hour or Saturday and still didn't finish! I just had to force myself to find a place that I could call "finish" for the day and leave it). In the beginning I felt like I was being really annoying by asking a lot of questions, but I haven't been doing as much of that lately which I'm sure they appreciate much more. I love the consistency of the my schedule and I love the people I work with.

Anyway, that's the story. My battery is about to die, so I need to publish this. I plan on posting about the spiritual journey or whatever you want to call it through this process soon. Just don't have the battery life to do that now. And, people are less likely to start reading a long post and this already looks intimidating.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Sarah! What a wonderful testimony too!