Sunday, January 11, 2015

Work is a Gift

I wanted to share something that's been on my heart.

All I ever seem to hear about work is negative. We live for the weekends, Hump day is now "a thing" and we've deemedx Sunday as the "pre-Monday." Meme's circulate Facebook that negatively view work, co-workers, and bosses.

I read something lately that really struck me. For some reason I never really considered the fact that work was not a result of the fall. It isn't a punishment for sin. It was designed by God to be a wonderful thing and even if sin never entered the world, WORK WOULD STILL BE HERE.

So let's start viewing work as the gift that it is.
Let's stop living for the weekend, and start appreciating our jobs.
Every day we are at work we have the opportunity to show Christ and be loving encouragers to those we encounter. But if we are allowing the agony of our jobs to rob us of joy, our light is diminished. People won't see us as any different from the next person.

I am not going to pretend it's easy. I have been blessed by the fact that I have loved all my jobs--for at least most of the time I worked them-- and currently have the best job ever. But, there have been times I have REALLY, really struggled to be thankful for a job. Some days it took everything in me to drag myself out of bed and go to work.I would count down the hours until the end of the day, and go home and dread the next day. Thankfully that was a short season, but I DO know it's a real struggle for some people and I don't want to minimize that.

Reminding myself that work is a gift and praying for an eternal perspective has helped me grow in this area . I want to encourage you to try to view your work differently. View it as the gift it is, not as the curse that it isn't. Since you spend a significant part of your waking life at work, you'll enjoy life a whole lot more if you don't dread going to your job every day.

Be encouraged. We're all in this together. And if you are like me and truly enjoy your job, make sure you thank God for providing a job that not only pays the bills, but that you get to actually LOVE what you do. Don't take that for granted.

Last thing to remember. God worked for 6 days and then rested. Rest is certainly a way to help us be more effective at our jobs, which in turn could help us enjoy them a little more too. If you fill your off time up too much, you'll never feel rested and refreshed. It's tempting to want to spend our days off doing too much, but make sure you set time aside to rest when you can.

That is all friends. Have a great weekend!

No comments: